Downtown Perches are publicly accessible plazas in downtown Vancouver that are activated in the summer with public seating, buskers, yoga and social gatherings.
One of the best parts about summer in Vancouver (yes, there are many!) is spending time outside. While there are several places to hang out outside downtown, sometimes a coffee, a PB&J sandwich from home, or a food cart treat is more enjoyable in a quiet, comfy seat where you can watch the world go by.
This is why the DVBIA came up with their Perch program that adds temporary bistro tables and chairs to publicly accessible plazas in the downtown area. To help make this a reality, your downtown neighbours—the property owners and managers of the various private plazas—have invested in the tables & chairs and the time it takes to set up and take down the furniture. They’re free and available for anyone to use Monday to Friday from approximately 10am to 3pm.
There are seven perches located throughout downtown:
- Perch @ Lot 19 at Hornby and Hastings
- Perch @ Alberni at 1188 W Georgia St
- Perch @ Oceanic Plaza at 1033 W Pender St
- Perch @ Nelson Square at 808 Nelson St
- Perch @ 401 at 401 W Georgia St
- Perch @ 1075 at 1075 W Georgia St
- Perch @ Cathedral Square at 646 Richards St
WANTED: Perch Activators
To help celebrate the Re-Imagine Downtown Vancouver campaign, we are extending an open invitation to Vancouver’s talented people to help animate these perches over the summer.
Whether you are a musician or magician, puppeteer or poet, yoga instructor or yo-yo master—or have a completely unique way that you would like to activate a perch—we encourage you to get in touch with us and reserve a time (or times) to showcase your skills! Group activations are also encouraged.
If you are excited by the idea of performing at a perch this summer, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get you set up! There is no cost to reserve a perch.
In your email, please include the following information:
- Contact information, including your name, email, phone number;
- Your performance activity/talent;
- The Perch location where you would like to perform;
- The date(s) and time(s) you would like to perform (keeping in mind the perches are activated Monday to Friday from 10am to 3pm); and,
- Any specific site requests (such as electricity).